Sunday 5 February 2012

Winter Blues

I've been suffering from an extended case of the January blues, which explains my absence from this blog over the last 6 weeks. This is, on the whole, my happy place where I come to celebrate all those little moments (and hours and days and even weeks) of loveliness that, on the whole make my life a quietly happy one. A combination of factors this winter means that I've struggled to do that recently. Usually I love winter - the cosy, snuggliness of it, the wrapping up warm, the excuse to stay indoors and read and eat custardy puddings. This year though I've found myself desperate for Spring. When it started to snow yesterday - and worse, to settle - I honestly wanted to weep. So resignation was the most positive feeling I could muster this morning when Beautiful Girl wanted to go out and play in the snow. Muttering under my breath, I got wrapped up and we trudged to the park to meet friends. But you know what? We had such fun! We went sledding, we built a snow fort, we spent ages doing nothing more than rolling enormous snow balls into the river in an obviously futile attempt to build an ice bridge. And then eventually we came home, pink-cheeked, cold and tired to hot chocolate complete with marshmallows on the top. You don't get that in May.

No comments:

Post a Comment