Sunday 20 October 2013

Simple pleasures

 I am not a high-maintenance kind of girl. Designer shoes and expensive jewellery mean little to me. However, I do love life's little luxuries and shopping for small treats - a new paperback, a box of macaroons, a bunch of flowers, brings me much joy.This week though I am unable to indulge. A "perfect storm" of financial demands leaves us with too much month at the end of the money. When I go to the bakers to buy the weekend loaf I manage to forgo the delicious - and expensive - little plum and ricotta cakes. I don't stop at the newsagents on the way home for the latest edition of "Country Living" magazine. Proud of my self-restraint I go home and bake a favourite autumnal cake, thriftily using up the last of the rather soft apples and pears. And when I take Beautiful Girl to the library I find a beautiful book to bring home and swoon over. Add a frothy coffee and my afternoon of frugal pleasures is complete.

2 comments:

  1. Jo, your life sounds scarily like mine... but just as pleasurable. Check out my girls top made from free house clearance fabric - I would have loved to have bought some kitsch children's jersey but not this month. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thrifty Chic is one of my top interiors books as well - perfect for a browse through when a creative calm is called for. And hurrah for the small pleasures that are the stuff of our lives.

    ReplyDelete